Monday, February 23, 2009

Adversity

Habakkuk 3:17-19
Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines; though the labor of the olive may fail, and the fields yield no food; though the flocks may be cut off from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls; yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, He will make my feet like the deer’s feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills.”

This morning as I was reading God’s word, praying and thinking about the past few days my thoughts went to the passage above. The message from Habakkuk is very simple. God is telling Judah that difficult day are on the horizon and they must cling to Him for their strength.

Here are my thoughts on Habakkuk. One, we all need a “Habakkuk” in our life. His name in Hebrew means “cling.” In times of adversity or pending doom we need people reminding us to “cling to Jesus.”

Two, clinging to Jesus is our security. The prophet states, “He will make my feet like deer’s feet.” I have viewed deer in different context over the past 20 years or so. First as a hunter walking through the woods and second as a resident of Eastlake, Ohio. We have deer everywhere in Eastlake!

The times I have chased deer down the street on my cycle I have noticed their hooves do not perform so well on concrete. However, in the woods their traction is impeccable. Likewise, when we cling to Jesus in times of adversity we are in our natural element and we have no need to fear faltering or stumbling. Our life is secure.

Three, clinging to Jesus is the road to victory. Habakkuk says, “He … makes me walk on my high places.” I have two thoughts on this phrase. One, as we cling to Jesus He will lead us onward and upward until we rise above the circumstances of life. He may choose to calm the storm, or not, but for sure He will calm His servant and speak peace to the troubled soul.

Two, in Habakkuk’s day the victorious military leader would climb to a high place and parade before his troops as they cheer his successful victory. The message to me in this is clear, “Jesus is my high place.” During adversity we must cling to Him and exalt Him to His rightful place … high and lifted up!

I hope these words encouraged you as they did me. Thanks for stopping by!
---------
Adrian

3 comments:

  1. Amen and amen! Thanks for the pick-me-up! I needed that today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comment about needing a Habakkuk in our lives. Often when I am ‘down’ I seek out those closest to me to simply be in their presence. These ‘close ones’ share the heart of Jesus. Being with them reminds me of what’s real, what’s important, and who I am in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome words of encouragement. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete