Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Affinity

Tonight I have a funeral to preach. My friend Bill Hathaway died last weekend at the age of 92. I met Bill eleven years ago when I moved to Willoughby Hills. He and Dorothy opened their heart and home to me and relationship developed. I will miss Bill.

Bill was 45 years my senior and I wonder why there would be such an affinity between the two of us? Was the chemistry just right, as they say? Was it because Bill was still young at heart and would still dream with me? Was it simply because we both enjoyed teasing his wife? There could be a number of reasons I guess, for the “connect” between Bill and Adrian, most of which I may never fully understand.

This morning as I reflect on the other friendships I enjoy with others I realize there is a “connect” if you will, with many men that I simply cannot fully understand. It just is. However, I have a sneaky suspicion that “affinity” exists between us because of our common interest in Jesus Christ. He seems to be the chemistry, the “mortar” of our relationship.

I thank God today for such relationship. Especially for the men He has placed in my life. Men who love Jesus Christ and have fully consecrated the sum total of their existence in relationship with Him. My friends are men who are committed to family. They are men who value their wife and child more than personal gratification. Men who consistently aspire to a cause that extends beyond personal gain. Men who are determined not to simply let “history repeat itself” but endeavor to “set history straight” for others to orient their lives too.

I like this kind of connect. It is affinity at its best. I pray that my tenure on earth will have favorable impact on others as others have had impact on me.

I’ll see you later Bill. The days are long but the years are short. One day I to will pass but until then, I'll continue to live!

Thanks for stopping by!
---------
Adrian

3 comments:

  1. I suspect that if these men that are in your life have a lick of common sence, they will realize the significance I'm sure you must bring to thier lives. Bill is a blessed man. I hope it goes well tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friendships in Christ are truly meaningful. Those brothers and sisters are the ones who challenge us to be better people and bring out our best. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KJ,
    I appreciate the affinity I have with you and Jerry. I thank God for the year I had at Morningstar Friends. My life has truly been enriched by the "relationship" that developed in those 12 months. I hope to see you soon!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete