Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Christian Hedonist?

I have been rereading The Moral Quest by Stanley Grenz for the past two weeks and today a question came to me, “Am I a Christian hedonist?” In Philosophy hedonism entails two things: “pleasure is always good for its own sake and pain is always bad. And, pleasure is the only good thing for its own sake, and pain is the only thing intrinsically bad” (Grenz, 37)

When I stereotypically think of a hedonist I picture a “party animal.” One who is loud, rowdy, drunk or high and sexually indulgent. But as Grenz points out “a hedonist can be a law abiding citizen … even a good Christian.” (38) They may repel the pleasures of the “worldly life” but that does not mean the Christian is not pleasure centered in focus. Perhaps their devotion to God is motivated by pleasure. Or perhaps they are “eternal hedonists who eagerly follow God only for the pleasure of eternity. Purposefully doing on earth what is necessary to assure a pleasurable eternity in a celestial city” (39)

I wonder how many Christians do establish their ethics (daily actions) not solely out of love for Christ but rather for the pleasure they hope to one day receive? Are they good "churchmen" because they covet streets of gold? When they present the Good News to another is the focus on the love of the Heavenly Father that was manifest through the Son or is the emphasis placed on sin and eternal damnation? Is their pray life pleasure focused? Is it “name it and claim it” or “blab it and grab it” prayer believing that with enough faith one can prevent the adverse circumstances of unhappiness?

Do they preach from the pulpit or teach behind a lectern for the pleasure of a paycheck or the emotional bliss that comes from the accolades of others? Do they instruct their children to do what is right out of passion for Christ or so they do not end up making a mess of their lives and their parent's shameful, painfilled and unhappy? Am I a Christian hedonist?

No, I am not a Christian hedonist. I have purposed in my heart to live a life pleasing to God because I love Jesus Christ. I believe in heaven and hell and will continue to preach the life of holiness but my focus will remain on the love of Christ. I looked forward to “the celestial city” and one day being there but my pleasure is found in my “real time” relationship with Jesus today. And, I really do hope there are motor cycles in heaven so I can do a burn out on a street of gold. NICE!

What say you … are you a Christian hedonist? Thanks for stopping by!



I bet my three sons will join me in a "celestial burn out" one day!
--------
Adrian

3 comments:

  1. I posed that very question to another Pastor several years ago. When we say "Believe in and follow Jesus Christ and you'll spend eternity in Paradise. Reject him and you'll spend eternity in hell, are we giving the right reasons for following Christ?" Or should we love and follow Jesus just because.......? The other Pastor just thought it was a good idea to get them to church and follow Christ any way we can and hope they'll find the RIGHT reasons later.

    What was the motivation of Jesus when he was in the garden and he asked his Father "If there's another way, take this cup from me"? Was Jesus motivated by the avoidence of pain?
    I'm talking about emotional as well as physical pain. Certainly the separation from the Father would be the emotional pain and being nailed to the cross would certainly be physical pain. I think it was the humanity of Jesus that was showing in the garden.

    What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you already have it all, you don't care about what you'll get later. Can we present a relationship with Jesus without mentioning Heaven at all? Jesus came to offer the ability to be found, freedom, healing, and life. I did'nt hear Him say anything about getting that when we're done breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew 6:8
    "Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

    Your Father knows what you NEED - what you want is not part of the equation.
    It's all about what you need, and He already knows what it is before you ask.

    What you want is most certainly "Pleasure".
    What you need may include some "Pain".
    Neither one need be defined as good or bad.
    Praise God in all things.

    ReplyDelete