Saturday, February 21, 2009

What if?

I must confess the question “what if?” has popped into my head a few times over the past two days. What if circumstances from the accident that totaled my Jeep on the nineteenth of February, 2009 also ended Lisa’s life on earth? How would today be different? How would I and others view God?

It is easy for me to attribute the joy I have regarding the outcome of the accident to God. I sense from viewing the mangled Wrangler yesterday that it was more than a fate, coincidence or simply a well made vehicle that preserved my wife from serious injury or death. It is easy to wrap my thoughts around God’s control, protection and love when I reflect on the events of that day. However, “what if things had been different?”

What if Lisa had not walked away without serious injury and I was posting this blog from the intensive care unit of the Cleveland Clinic or in between calling hours at the local funeral home? What if the picture below was the last to be taken of us as a married couple? Would the feelings I have for God today be different? Would the words used to describe the outcome of the accident change? Would we still say, “God was in control at that moment? That His love for Lisa led to her earthly demise? The event and circumstances were divinely orchestrated?
How should we view God when things seem to go wrong? What role does He play when bad things happen to good people? I would like to hear your thoughts.



Thanks for stopping by!
--------
Adrian

6 comments:

  1. A wise man once said, “Life is like a box of chocolates.”

    I tend to agree.
    Each piece is a little different.
    You like some, you don’t like others, but it’s all chocolate.
    Thank you Lord for each and every piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrian,
    Those are some pretty tough questions and ones that I am not sure that we can honestly answer until we are there in that place. We can only speculate how we would respond. Our finite minds cannot begin to understand the mind of God in those types of situation and that is when our faith in God and our faithfulness to Him become essential. One last thought comes from a song by Babbie Mason. "when you don't understand
    When you don't see His plan
    When you can't trace His hand
    Trust His heart."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our need to define "good and bad" is a part of us the Lord can purify.
    Was there beauty in the death of Jesus? At the time, not much. Was there violence and disruption in His birth, in retrospect, yes.
    We tend to define good and bad by our emotions and sensibilities.
    Can we ever get to the place where life and death are inconsequential?

    ol#&*@lo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been thinking some of those same thoughts about my favorite aunt. I would want to think that trusting God would carry through the pain and sorrow. I'm just thankful that we are wondering and not finding out first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At age 12 Jesus had a compelling plan and a purpose for his life. What did Jesus consider to be most vital for his own unique and distintive life? "I must be about my father's business". Doing God's work - that was Jesus' goal from the age of 12 until he whispered with his last breaths of life from the cross, "It is finished". Was it really? Were all the sick folks healed? Were all the hungry people fed? Was he done? No - but what he came to do, he did. It was finished. And what about when it's your turn to go? What if the garage hasn't been cleaned out? What if there's still stuff under the bed? What if the flowerbed hasn't been seeded and the roses need spraying? So, who cares? If what you came to do, you did, then you can say, "It is finished". You must learn to say, "I came to do my father's will" and then do it! This morning when I was reading this from the book "Making things Right When Things Go Wrong" by Dr. Paul Faulkner I was thinking about when I read your blog "If". In doing God's will daily, love each other, help each other and glorify God. Creating precious memories - what a great way to take ones last breath on the earth and meet Jesus in heaven. I can't wait to tell him "thank you very much for everything. I love you very much". Your daughter, Matsuko.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent parts of the last two months contemplating many of the same thoughts you had above. Sleeping nights in the hospital room next to my wife's bed made me a little cranky at times, but strangely at peace. God is Good period. Cindy, quoting Babby Mason's song, hit it right on the nose! No matter what the circumstances, trust His heart. That's actually difficult to say at this moment as I sit as the last employee at my shop. It's hard not knowing what tomorrow will bring. But comfortable or not, I choose to trust His heart!

    ReplyDelete