Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Evangelism

"To evangelize or not to evangelize? That is the question..."

Last week I posed the same question in three different venues and surprisingly received the same response. The question: "You are God for a day and your job is to decide who gets into heaven. Your first case is a primitive man from Africa. He never heard of gospel message or even the mention of Jesus' name. Yet he was a good man. Loved his wife and kids, cared for his neighbors, and was an all around good guy. Does he get in?"

Most of those whom I polled said "Yes, he's in!" Some determined he had a good heart and would receive admission accordingly. Most of the others said he would be admitted into heaven out of a state of innocence. Stating that God would not hold him accountable because he never heard the claims of Christ. Only two of those I polled said "the man was going to Hell because he did not confess Jesus Christ as Lord and seek forgiveness of sins." Do these results surprise you? They did me. I would have thought more would have chosen a traditional "narrow road/gate" approach as spoken of in the gospel of John.

All of this is leading to a question and pointing out discussion Willoughby Hills Friends Church will need to have regarding what evangelism and altar calls will look like in the years to come. If I understand the trends of my industry then the results of my little poll is in step with mainstream Christianity today. The process of salvation is under construction and is being redefined to fit a post modern society.

So the question I raise as fodder for discussion is this: "Why evangelize if it means destroying someones innocence and possibly condemning them to Hell?" Why give a public invitation at church to confront one's personal sin and repent if it could hurt as much as it helps in some instances? Should evangelism be limited to non-public venues where the "fishers of men" can discern the leading of the Spirit and the preparedness of the hearer? What say you?

Thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

5 comments:

  1. Jesus was very careful in His interaction with the masses. He treated His followers and the religious community with more poignant teachings.
    Evangelism as we have known it must be reformed, it simply doesn't work anymore.
    ----------

    I find it hard to believe that only 4or5 people are reading these threads.
    Come on people, speak out! The future of the Bride is being formed in our lives, what once worked doesn't any longer.
    What say the Elders of WHEFC?
    This should be mandatory reading for everyone in elected office in our fellowship.
    Where is the passion? The passion that is one of the "good" qualities we have been given.
    If we are luke warm, will He spit us out?
    I for one am tired of playing the church "game".
    I don't want to be mediocre in my spiritual life.
    I want the excellence of Jesus to fill me completely.
    WHAT SAY YOU!!!!
    Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narrow, I read this blog fairly regularly, but God has me in a quiet place right now, which is why I have not been responding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "To evangelize or not to evangelize? That is the question;
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing, end them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason we need to evangelize is to share the good news of Jesus Christ, the God of the universe and savior of the world. Yes, this does present them with an option in which they must choose whom to serve, but isn't this the command of Christ to "go and make followers of all people in the world" Mat 28:19.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To presume that by presenting the Gospel in some way makes the hearer accountable is wrong. I can’t remember how many times I ‘listened’ but never “heard”. In John 6:44-45 Jesus says "Stop grumbling among yourselves," Jesus answered. "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.” A person “hears” as the Holy Spirit allows (as the Father draws). I understood the gospel when God was ready to open my ears. When my crisis arrived, and I called out to God, the name I called was Jesus and he answered. I’m thankful I heard the name and the message.

    To follow this reasoning, if a person had one chance in their life to hear the Gospel, and I present it in a flawed way, or if I smell bad, or if I keep coughing from my bad cold and the result is the audience says ‘no thanks’, perhaps I should be the one to burn for being a bad orator!

    Regarding sin, it is recognition within the person’s heart as directed by the Holy Spirit. I have found that behavior management is only truly effective when revealed by, and instigated by God. Why can’t we focus on relationship restoration as the motive instead of condemnation from sin? Some of my favorite messages from Pastor Greg have been those that pointed out how Jesus initiated relationship with the rejects. He did not condemn them and require repentance before He entered their lives. I wonder how much time I lost being in a love relationship with Jesus because I was so focused on His repulsion of who I was, what I did, and how much needed to be changed.

    Jesus demonstrated his repulsion of the organized behavior management bullies (the church) of His day and we still think us pointing out other peoples depravity is what He would do. It’s His job to convict and cause the desire for repentance.

    As far as public invitations go, I see no reason to stop (or to not resume a more traditional style in our case). I believe 80% of the people coming through our doors are seeking more. They are drawn to something. There may come a time when the post modern church is in full operation but right now is not yet that time. The attendees on Sunday morning are still coming for the event (the modern church) and to not offer the transaction is sad.

    I find great value in the opportunities I was presented to respond publicly. I can remember several times when I responded to an invitation and a few times when I made up my own. The acts and subsequent memories of moving forward publicly are bright, strong Ebenezers, (monuments in my mind I’ve erected to remember). These memories sustain me when I’m down, and help me remember that The Lord met me ‘here’.

    Adrian, I sure like this forum and I’m sorry to be so long winded. I thank you for this venue in which to process my thoughts and beliefs. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete