Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pastors

This month one of my goals is to contact all of our pastors in the district and pray for them and seek to encourage them where I can. Whether it is in my volunteer work as a District Superintendent or under the employ of Willoughby Hills Friends Church, the most important responsibility I have is to care for our pastors. Statistically, the pastorate is a difficult vocation. Jesus said, "Take my yoke upon you... for My yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30). Really? Easy? Light? Why does this not seem to be the case for pastors?

Barna reports that "every month 1300 pastors in the U. S. are fired or forced to resign. Within ten years 40% will leave the ministry discouraged for another line of work. Eighty percent say their work has a negative impact on their home life. Seventy-five percent struggle with their finances and feel they are underpaid compared to other professionals in their church or community. Fifty percent feel they suffer physically from stress and sleepless nights over the problems and expectations of the people in their congregations" (taken from the book I am reading this week by Don Cousins, Experiencing LeaderShift,pages 43-54).

These are difficult times for pastors. They struggle with discouragement and burnout on a daily basis. Unfortunately very few in the church, including lay leadership, understand these dynamics. They cannot identify with the problems pastors face or the burdens they carry and actually minister to their need.

It is my job to protect and support the pastors under my care. I cannot get caught up in the labor of administration or the pressing needs of the church and neglect the precious men and women God has placed under my umbrella of responsibility at this time. Please join me in praying for our pastors on a daily basis. Please consider how you can bless them, encourage them, and care for their needs while they shepherd the flock of God.

Something has got to change for the sake of pastors in the USA. We need an overhaul of sorts. It can begin with us moving towards our pastors with empathy, love and prayer. What else can we do? Please share with me your thoughts...

Thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

6 comments:

  1. I think one of the biggest concerns is if these men and women have an intimate circle of friends in which they can feel safe to share the human experience. The world expects these people to be; completely fixed, have all the answers, be without emotion, (unless of coarse it's tears for the lost and hurting), have no doubts and no fear. I imagine the isolation is crushing and the constant demand for wisdom, support and solutions sucks the life out of them. The emotional burden on their spouses would be oppressive (and beyond what a female spouse would be designed for).

    The obvious solution would be to preach and teach the sufficiency of Christ and the complete work he can do in the follower thereby eliminating the need for Pastors to be ‘Moses’. The Pastor could in principle be allowed to operate from place of being an educated friend instead the ‘all knowing, all capable’ OZ. (ignore the man behind the robe!)


    It's my prayer these people find a people trustworthy to live amongst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Monkey - AMEN!

    Perhaps an 'informative' (yearly or every 6 months) church service (without the Pastor speaking) to accomplish the following:
    *Thank the Pastors
    *Share the burdens a pastor must endure, facts, etc.
    *Share ways to specifically encourage and help Pastors in our church and other churches.
    *With the Pastors permission, plan volunteers to help the Pastor and family with needs - meals, spring clean up, fall, etc.
    * ETC, ETC, ETC

    Folks do NOT realize that 99% (I'm guessing :)) of communication from attendees are 'problems' and not 'GREAT JOB, THAT WAS WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR, GOD IS MOVING....'.

    There is great need to encourage Pastors!!!

    My two cents, for whatever it might be worth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. continued -

    Pastor Adrian -

    Do you have specific ways we might encourage and support you? It would be great to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BG Academy,
    Thanks for asking...
    > I am encouraged when people tell me they are praying for me on a daily basis. My batteries are recharged on the rare occasions when someone actually makes it a point to single me out and actually prays for me.

    > I am also encouraged when others seek me out relationally. I feel valued when invited to a coffee shop for a cup of "Joe" or having conversation about "fun stuff" while eating a hot dog or burger for lunch. An occasional email or phone call primes my pump too.

    > I am encouraged when I see others respecting and supporting my peers. I feel like I am disrespected almost every week in the meetinghouse by a some and observe the same happening to other staff members as well. It breaks my heart to observe their dedication to their vocation and congregation only to see the life sapped out of them and discouragement set in as a result of such behavior.

    > I am encouraged when I see the laity are engaged sacrificially in the movement of God.

    > I am encouraged when strong leaders rise to my defense and I am not left to defend every comment, accusation or question.

    > I am really encouraged when people do and say nice things for my wife and kids!

    Blessings,
    A

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a PK (pastor's kid) growing up, I can say that words about how dad looks or what he said in the sermon or how he didn't visit/meet some need instantly/personally etc can hurt the child or spouse more than they actually impact the pastor.

    Just as praise to children for specific postitve actions or attitudes can change the outlook of the child, a specific positive comment made publically can change the perspective of the people listening. (as do negative comments) If you can't say something nice (in public) keep your mouth shut. If you need to share a concern about something less than positive, make sure you are speaking only to the person it concerns and use the sandwich method - positive, concern, positive. It helps the speaker and the listener know that an effort was made to keep the big picture in mind.

    James speaks of the power of the tounge (like a rudder to steer a ship) and I have always wondered if this insight ever started with listening to people talk about his "big brother" Jesus.

    ReplyDelete