Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Friends




Lisa and I spent a lot of time traveling in the RV last week and as usual we took turns reading to one another (OK, we didn't have the tent with us this trip so I'll call it a minivan). One of the journals Lisa was reading from said studies show that left alone, most heart patients choose death over making the lifestyle changes they need to live. But when they receive support from fellow patients, dietitians, psychologists, friends and family members the numbers are almost reversed.

A similar pattern exists in all of our lives. Most of us will not make the necessary changes to conform into the image of Jesus without the support of others. The Wesleyan Bible Commentary says that the believer's sanctification cannot be viewed in a solitary state. This same literary work defines sanctification as the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of every Christ follower to recreate the lost image of God.

I want to thank God today for the dear friends He has placed in my life. I cannot envision a world without them. Nor do I expect to see the image of Christ to fully manifest in my being without their help and support.

Thanks for being my friend and for stopping by!

------
Adrian

2 comments:

  1. I thank God that you as a pastor are willing to have such friends. Time and time again I see "men of God" trying to live out their spirituality as an island because they fear the repercussions of someone seeing them as less than perfect. That resistance to vulnerablity leaves them succeptable to all kinds of attacks from their adversary. In trying to protect themselves, they in fact open themselves to attack that might not have any effect on them if they would allow themselves the accountability of a brother or sister. No man is an island! We were made for intimate community. We should embrace and enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God for you as well, not only as our Pastor but one we can confine in and really relate with as a friend. I believe we need encourgement and support from our fellow believers in Christ in order to grow and confirm to His image. The "Men's Fight Club is a good example of brothers binding together to study God's word and lift up one another. Come out and join with us!

    ReplyDelete