Monday, May 18, 2009

Good preaching

I really enjoyed past Sunday's activities at the meetinghouse. Nothing turns my crank quicker than when the music and preaching is anointed by the Holy Spirit. At WHFC we have skilled and gifted people in the pulpit and leading/providing music in our worship services but unless God anoints their effort little really happens in the lives of people. Yesterday I sensed God's anointing.

I think one main reason why God anoints our teaching pastor week in and week out is because of his focus on Christ. Greg views the role of a preacher/teacher as keeping people and the Bible Christ centered. As we work our way through the book of Genesis we are discovering numerous connection points with the Christ of the Gospels. I like that!

Walter Brueggeman says "the role of the preacher is to provide Christ-centered imagination. The church needs to be continually refocused on Jesus and those who give voice to the church's public speech ought to be committed to drenching the preaching of the Bible with the Gospels" (Bueggeman. Finally Comes the Poet, Fortress Press, 1989, pg. 23).

Atta boy Greg! Keep on showcasing Jesus from every page of the Cannon. There must be a constant return to Jesus in our lives and church. He is the only way to renewal.

One of the songs I remember from my childhood is "Look and Live." The refrain goes something like this, "Look and live my brother live. Look to Jesus now and live. Its recorded in His word hallelujah, look to Jesus now and live!"

YES!

Thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, a typo made my last comment less understandable than usual. I meant to say,

    I too apreciate Greg's use of his gift and have enjoyed the finding of Jesus in the book of Genesis. Well done Greg and thanks! How about that notion that the senenth day never ends? Very cool.

    ReplyDelete