Monday, June 1, 2009

Hiding place

"Then the man and his wife sewed fig leaves together and covered themselves ... when they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden ... they hid from the Lord" (Genesis 3:7-8). "... For I hide myself in You; teach me to do Your will" (Psalm 143:9-10). These two passages seem to indicate that humans have a natural inclination to hide. Unfortunately if we are not seeking rescue "in" God we will hide "from" our Salvation.

The contrast between the men represented in the passages just mentioned is telling. King David through transparency, is pursuing solace from his enemies in the presence of God where as Adam on the other hand, is shamefully hedging himself away from God. This is a clear reminder that all of us respond in one of two ways to the "imago Dei - the image of God in man" for it is the standard of life.

Without full surrender to Christ people will insatiably gather around themselves things to hide behind in an attempt to hedge out the imago Dei. This really is a working definition of "idolatry" as spoken of in the Bible. An "idol" is something, anything really, that we place between God and self to diminish the presence and power of God in our life. (In Exodus 20 God says, "to have no others gods before Me," meaning there is to be nothing between us and God, or standing in the way).

Every attempt to hedge out God's image is futile. There is really nowhere to hide from imago Dei nor can one erase the shame that occurs from not being fully alive or complete in Christ Jesus. We cannot flee from the presence of God when His image is woven into the very fabric of our being (Psalm 139:7). Like King David, we must run to Jesus as our hiding place to be taught this lesson.

Be fully alive today by hiding in Jesus! It's the place you were meant to be. What say you?

Thanks for stopping by today!
------
Adrian

2 comments:

  1. Listen to the words of Steven Curtis Chapman's HIDING PLACE :

    In the distance I can see the storm clouds coming my way
    And I need to find a shelter
    Before it starts to rain
    So I turn and run to You Lord
    You’re the only place to go
    Where unfailing love surrounds me
    When I need it most

    You’re my hiding place
    Safe in Your embrace
    I’m protected from the storm that rages
    When the waters rise
    And I run to hide
    Lord, in You, I find my hiding place

    I’m not asking You to take away
    My troubles Lord
    ‘Cause it’s through the stormy weather
    I learn to trust You more
    So I thank You for Your promise
    I have come to know
    Your unfailing love surrounds me
    When I need it most

    You’re my hiding place
    Safe in Your embrace
    I’m protected from the storm that rages
    When the waters rise
    And I run to hide
    Lord, in You, I find my hiding place

    So let Your people seek You
    While You may be found
    ‘Cause you’re our only refuge
    When the rain comes pouring down


    © 1994 Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma Bear,
    Will you sing this song for me on Wednesday night in the Cafe? I can hardly wait to hear it!

    ReplyDelete