Monday, August 17, 2009

Opinions are like mushrooms ...

Opinions ... everyone has an opinion. Someone very influential in my life used to say, "Opinions are like mushrooms ... and in the country the biggest ones usually grow out of a pile of manure!" I've tried to take that lesson to heart over the years. Especially when I read comments like I am about to share.

There seems to be a growing dissatisfaction with the local church in America even to the point where one man said, "The Church in America sucks!" (Steve Hughes, "The Relevance of Jesus Without all of the Religious Crap." page 83ff). Ouch! So does the Church suck? Let's look at what "suck" means first of all. Wikipedia defines it as "a term of general disparagement, indicating the subject or situation has no redeeming value, qualities or purpose. Indicating that a subject has a particular area of deficiency."

Wow, I have not encountered a church that "has no redeeming qualities," have you? No redeeming qualities? That's a pretty harsh pronouncement on a group of people, don't you think? What does the word "redeeming" mean? Again the online dictionary I just quoted gives insight ... "redeeming - "to change for the better."

Is that not why the Church exists ... to help people and communities change for the better as instructed by our Founder and CEO - Jesus Christ? No doubt every Church could do this better and be more relevant in their effort, but nonetheless, the intention of all Christ centered churches that I have ever known or heard about exists for the good of people, families and communities in general. They feed and clothe the homeless, conduct social/relational educational programming, counsel troubled marriages and families, provide meals for those who are sick and injured, and visit those who are housebound, etc.

I think the Church has many redeeming qualities and seeks to make a positive contribution for the betterment of their community and world. That's my opinion ... what's yours? How do you see the Church contributing to the good of God's mission on earth and for the society? How has it blessed your life?

thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

1 comment:

  1. My wife hates mushrooms, she's not to fond of my opinions either. I think you're on to something here!
    Carry on!

    ReplyDelete