Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What's in a Name? (part 3)

Over the past two weeks I have enjoyed re-reading Robert Barclay's Apology and comparing his convictions to my own. I have identified several connecting points between the Quaker patriarch and my vision for the College which bears his name. Some of them I intend to share in this venue and invite discussion from those who care to think in a similar vain.

I have also enjoyed engaging the staff at Willoughby Hills Friends on Barclay's theology. The staff here are great thinkers and enjoy lively discussion. I will miss the day to day interaction with them when my transition to Kansas occurs in July (Lord willing). I appreciate their sense of humor as well. While discussing the Apology with our Pastor of Singles Walt Scheiman, he made the comment that maybe someday Barclay's Apology will be interpreted as "we are sorry we hired Halverstadt!" Well it seemed funny at the time. (You have got to love him!)

So what other connecting points exist between Robert Barclay and my vision for the academic endeavors of the College that bears his name? I like the way the Apology approaches and defines Truth. It seems as if Barclay defines Truth as a Person and His name is Jesus Christ.

The first class I will teach on campus next fall is Philosophy. I've facilitated the class online in the past and look forward to the f2f (face to face) interaction with the student body. One of my favorite exercises in Philosophy is to the contrast the main thinkers of yesterday and today and their quest for truth with that of Jesus Christ and the Bible. Some of them did not get very far in their search. Take Frenchman Rene Descartes for example. Basically his lifetime journey is summed up in one phrase, "I think, therefore I am." I doubt that Rene died a satisfied man.

The principle interest in life is to find truth and the field of higher education is no different. It is driven by the search for truth but it is not limited to just educators, ivory towers and philosophers. The quest for truth affects all facets of society and life, even love. Scripture teaches that "Truth" and "Love" are One in the same. Jesus Christ is both Love and Truth.

Barclay claimed that "Truth can only be embraced with the heart and the head and that he despised the schoolmen who said that you can do so with either one or the other" (Apology, pg. 1). He also framed the importance of repentance for Friends by stating that "sincere repentance leads to the acknowledgement of the Truth" (Apology, pg. 3), and "to the height of all happiness in life" (pg. 4). I concur with Barclay's definition of Truth and that the Holy Spirit as the divine Agent who leads Christians into repentance, relationship with Truth and guides one's life and transformation in accordance with the scriptures.

It would be my desire for students at Barclay College to know that the acquisition of knowledge can only be derived in the framework of Truth and Love. That the genesis of Truth is Jesus Christ and He must be central in life. Also, I would desire students to understand and experience heart purity when seeking to define truth and acquiring knowledge. Heart purity occurs through a conscious act of the will, when the Christian fully surrenders to Christ and allows the love of the Savior to purge the heart with His love and righteousness. Only then can Truth enter into the innermost parts of an individual and bring enlightenment. Only then can true happiness be experienced.

Truth and Love go hand in hand. So what good is knowledge if it does not lead to loving and serving both God and man? The glory of God is man fully alive. The life Jesus wills for humanity in John 10:10 and elsewhere is the impartation of God's life in man. Only then can Christians fulfill the Great Commandment "to love God and man unconditionally" and successfully engage the Great Commission to "go into the world and make disciples baptizing them into this very life." I want our students to know, experience and practice this reality ... and that's the truth!

Thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment